Jolene Sloam is from Melbourne, Australia and is Mum to 3 and 5 year old boys. She was inspired to start her blog, Yummy Inspirations, as a result of her oldest son’s picky eating habits. She was so inspired to get him to say “yummy” that she’d try all kinds of tricks to keep him nourished when it felt like he was saying a firm “no” to everything on offer.
Wanting to help other parents in a similar predicament, Jolene started her blog to share her successes (and frustrations) at providing him (and his brother) with a healthy, broad diet full of nourishing food. On Yummy Inspirations you’ll find everything from Breakfast Ideas to Lunch Box Ideas to Healthy Kids Snacks and Yummy Sweet Treats – all made from scratch, all real food, all unprocessed! You can also find Jolene on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Hi, I’m Jolene from Yummy Inspirations and this is our 2nd year of following October Unprocessed.
I’m passionate about ensuring my kids eat a natural, unprocessed diet. I notice a HUGE difference in their moods when a little processed food slips in, so I try and avoid it as much as possible.
I prefer knowing that the ingredients in their meals and snacks are all natural and actually providing them with nourishment – rather than being processed junk, void of anything natural and harmful to their little bodies.
That’s where this Banana & Coconut Slice comes in. It’s a healthy kids’ snack that is packed full of a powerhouse of nutrients including nourishing honey, coconut, oats, and banana. It can even be enjoyed as a quick breakfast slice (when made a day ahead) or packed into kid’s lunch boxes.
The first time I made these, my 3-year-old asked whether I had actually made them, because they’re so good. They are now a family favourite recipe and one I’ve been making at least once a week the past month or so. They never last long though; the kids just can’t get enough of them!
- 100g (3.5 ounces) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 cup shredded/desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup whole grain flour (or 1 cup gluten-free flour)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup mashed banana (from 1 large or 2 small bananas)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and get out a 9inch by 7inch (23cm by 17cm) dish and grease to prevent sticking.
- Place the butter and honey in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until melted.
- Once the butter and honey have melted, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut, oats, flour and salt.
- Add the banana, vanilla, and melted butter/honey mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Place the mixture into the prepared dish and place in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before slicing. The slice hardens on cooling.