Chef AJ is a chef and culinary instructor in Los Angeles. The author of UNPROCESSED, she specializes in plant-indulgent food that is free of sugar, oil, and salt, and is proud to say that “her IQ is higher than her cholesterol.” She is the former Executive Vegan Pastry Chef at Sante restaurant and the creator and co-producer of the annual Healthy Taste of LA. She is also the host of the TV show Healthy Living with Chef AJ on Foody TV.
When I gave up processed and refined sweeteners I never thought I would be able to enjoy a caramel apple again, until I created this.
Although they’re perfect for the Fall or Halloween, you can enjoy this healthy treat any time of year! They look just like the “real” thing and kids of all ages love them!
- 1 pound pitted dates
- 1 cup liquid (water, unsweetened non-dairy milk, or unsweetened juice)
- date paste
- one tablespoon alcohol-free vanilla
- unsalted, chopped nuts
- cacao nibs
- unsweetened, shredded dried coconut
- goji berries
- Soak dates in liquid overnight or for several hours until much of the liquid is absorbed.
- In a food processor fitted with the “S” blade, purée the dates and liquid until completely smooth.
- Place each apple upside down on a flat surface and push a stick into the center. Roll the apple in date paste, using your hands if necessary, to get it to stick over the entire surface of the apple.
- Roll in your favorite topping such as unsalted nuts, cacao nibs, unsweetened coconut or Goji berries or a combination.
- Chill well before serving.
Photo courtesy of Chef AJ.