Amelia Winslow, MS, MPH is a nutritionist, personal chef and mom who believes healthy eating should be easy and fun, not stressful or overwhelming. She’s the blogger behind Eating Made Easy, a site that debunks nutrition myths, answers food questions and offers practical tips to make healthy eating easier. You can also find Amelia on Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
This is a guest post for October Unprocessed. If this is your first time here, welcome! …and it’s not too late to join in!
I’m a huge sucker for ice cream. It’s hands-down my favorite dessert, and I honestly can’t recall a flavor or brand I haven’t loved.
Unfortunately, I don’t love the way ice cream makes me feel. Most of the commercial kinds sold at the grocery store are full of additives and thickeners that don’t seem to settle too well. Even homemade ice cream, which is technically unprocessed, is heavy, rich and best suited for an occasional treat.
Which is why I love this banana soft serve. It only takes five minutes to make, and despite its sweet & creamy taste, it’s almost as healthy as snacking on a banana.
Dig out your food processor and get ready to dig in!
- 4 frozen bananas, broken into chunks (peel and break before freezing!)
- ½ cup plain organic Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped organic dark chocolate (optional, this is the "half" ingredient!)
- Place the frozen banana chunks in a food processor fitted with the S-blade attachment.
- Press the Pulse button until the large pieces have broken into smaller chunks, then press On and let the food processor go for about 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides, then add the Greek yogurt and blend another 1-2 minutes or until mixture is completely smooth and appears somewhat whipped.
- Add chocolate chunks, if using.
- Serve immediately, or remove mixture to a bowl and freeze 1-2 hours or until consistency is more like ice cream. Enjoy!