I tried the fantastic vegan fennel and garlic soup at Real Food Daily a few weeks ago, which inspired me to try my hand at something similar. This was surprisingly easy, and — get this — might actually be one of the most delicious and satisfying things I’ve ever made.
Fennel, Leek, and Zucchini Soup
This was surprisingly easy, and — get this — might actually be one of the most delicious and satisfying things I’ve ever made.
- 1 Fennel Bulb sliced
- 5 stalks Celery sliced
- 2 Leeks sliced
- 3-5 cloves Garlic diced OR 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Zucchini with skin still on, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 cups Hot Water
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base
- 2 cups Fat-Free Milk
- In a large saucepan, sauté the olive oil, fennel, celery, and leeks for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and zucchini and saute another 5 minutes, or until everything’s soft.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup, mix the bouillon into the water to make a veggie broth, then add to the veggie mix. The veggies should be completely covered in broth. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and pour in a large ceramic bowl to cool a little (or whatever works). Purée everything with an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor.
- Once the veggies are puréed, add the milk and blend, just briefly. Place back on the stove and heat again, stirring frequently, and be careful not to boil.
- Garnish with a spring of fennel and a drizzle of olive oil.