Homemade Vanilla Extract

Kate Wheeler is the Los Angeles-based writer and publisher of the website Savour Fare. She is also a lawyer, a mother, a wife, a reader, and a cook. Savour Fare chronicles the foods and meals she cooks for her family and friends, and offers recipes, tips, and tutorials that make cooking from scratch accessible to even the most harried people. You can also find her on Twitter and Facebook.

Homemade Vanilla Extract

I initially thought I’d write a post for October Unprocessed about the kind of cooking I like to do best — simple meals cooked from scratch. I’m all about the idea that cooking from scratch doesn’t have to be extraordinarily difficult or time-consuming, and just about anyone with the interest can do it. However, eating truly unprocessed goes beyond just cooking from scratch, and forces you to really think about what’s in your pantry. And the results can be surprising.

Take vanilla extract, for example. This little bottle is so ubiquitous that we hardly think about what goes into it. Imitation vanilla extract contains vanillin, a synthetic version of vanilla’s natural flavor compounds, and popular grocery store brands of both imitation and “genuine” vanilla extract may also contain corn syrup and caramel color.

I’ve given up buying my vanilla extract years ago, in favor of making my own. It takes approximately three minutes to assemble a large jar, and within a couple of weeks you’ll have enough homemade vanilla extract to last you a long time. This extract also gives a clear, true vanilla flavor, and is made from just two ingredients.

Whole Vanilla Beans

Start with vanilla beans. These grow in a few tropical climates as part of an orchid plant, then are dried and shipped worldwide. There are three common types of vanilla bean, any of which can be used for vanilla extract, according to your preference:

Madagascar or Bourbon vanilla. This is the bean with the smooth, sweet flavor that’s typically available as extract in the United States.

Mexican vanilla. This has a very full flavor that’s often described as creamy and spicy.

Tahitian vanilla. These beans are known for their intense floral aroma.

The beans are long and thin and dried, but should be pliable, and the best quality ones are plump and moist with natural oils. They can be found at many gourmet and spice stores. I buy mine online from Saffron.com or Beanilla.

Using a sharp knife, slice the vanilla bean lengthwise. Spread the two halves apart to reveal the vanilla seeds. These give the extract its flavor.

Sliced Vanilla Bean

Place the split beans in a large mason jar, fill the jar with vodka, and store at room temperature. I use 3-4 beans for about 750mL vodka, but I’ll refill my jar and add a fresh bean or two when I get low. After about two weeks, the vodka will have colored (who needs caramel color?) and, if you wish, you can decant the vanilla into smaller bottles for ease of use or gift-giving. This is a great holiday gift for anyone who loves to bake or just loves vanilla.

Given the ease and cost-effectiveness of making your own vanilla, there’s simply no need to subject yourself to processed vanilla extract ever again.

, , ,

27 Responses to Homemade Vanilla Extract

1. Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty November 1, 2011 at 9:17 am #

PS. Not that I drink coke – just a joke…

2. Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty November 1, 2011 at 9:17 am #

@ Diana & Katie: Thanks lovelies! That was helpful. So does that mean I can use it to make Vanilla Vodka & Cokes?? :)

3. Diana November 1, 2011 at 9:12 am #

@Kristy Lynn, the bottle of store-bought vanilla extract I have in the cupboard lists “Alcohol 35%” as the second ingredient. Vodka is typically around 40%. Enjoy!

4. Diane {Created by Diane} October 31, 2011 at 12:19 am #

love this!

5. The Wimpy Vegetarian October 30, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

I need to confess that although I took the 30 day challenge, I fell off the wagon more than once. BUT, I stayed more aware of my eating and thanks to signing up for the challenge, I’ve been lucky enough to see simple recipes like this to make our own condiments for the kitchen. I love this and can’t wait to make it!

6. Kristy Lynn @ Gastronomical Sovereignty October 30, 2011 at 10:43 am #

what about the alcohol content of the vodka? Are we making vanilla vodka? Or vanilla extract? Either way is good – just curious :)

• Katie@ Mexican Wildflower October 31, 2011 at 6:00 am #

You are making a vanilla extract. All the alcohol will still be there. Most extracts (or tinctures) or made with alcohol because that is what is doing the pulling (or extracting. I’ve done this with peppermint too.

• josh Epstein December 12, 2011 at 4:12 am #

What did you use to make peppermint extract? nana leaves?

7. Jayne October 30, 2011 at 1:18 am #

I love this idea and will be making my own vanilla asap!

8. laura orlowski October 29, 2011 at 2:01 pm #

Thanks Kate. I have the vodka. I need to get come beans!

9. Kate @ Savour Fare October 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm #

Laura, vodka tends to be pretty pure without any chemical additives, and theoretically I suppose you could make it in a kitchen. What you get by making vanilla yourself is avoiding additives like corn syrup, caramel colors and synthetic flavoring agents. And no, it does not need to be refrigerated.

10. Johanna October 29, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Yum!! Our [spare] vanilla beans have just been tagged – what a great idea. Thanks for a wonderful suggestion/post :)

11. Veggie Val October 29, 2011 at 9:48 am #

I’ve been creating our own vanilla for years, but using 151 rum instead. It does impart color if you use the traditional kind. Plus, I usually have it on hand anyway for use in flambé dishes. I’ve been buying beans from the same folks online – great prices on dried mushrooms, too. Thanks, Kate!

12. NancyLee October 29, 2011 at 9:41 am #

This is awesome! We have people here in Maine who make Vodka from local, organic potatoes, so there you go! Thanks for this recipe!

13. Allyson October 29, 2011 at 9:34 am #

I cannot wait to try this!

14. Nic October 29, 2011 at 8:19 am #

This looks like fun! I have to use at least double the amount of vanilla in my recipes for the flavor I like. Making my own will save me the trouble of constantly buying my own.

Since I like strong vanilla flavor, perhaps I should use extra beans. I’ll have fun with it!

15. laura orlowski October 29, 2011 at 7:44 am #

Silly question…
    What makes Vodka better than what is in the store bought extract. I have no idea how vodka is made or what is in it.
    I will try making my own. I am forever running out of the store bought kind.
    Is DOES NOT need to be refrigerated, right? Thanks!

1. The Power of Fragrance: 10 Secrets for Banishing Kitchen Odors | Do It Yourself Today - February 15, 2013