Homemade Whole Grain Pita Bread

4.34 from 6 votes

homemade wholegrain pita bread

This simple homemade whole grain pita bread recipe shows you how easy it is to make your own delicious healthy pita breads. There will be no need to buy shop-made pita breads after you’ve tried this!

Making your own bread from scratch is fun and extremely satisfying. There’s nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked bread or the sense of achievement you get from creating your own food.

However, it can take a little bit of time and a few attempts to master your bread making and if you’ve never tried it before it can be a little daunting to start off with too.

So why not start of your baking career with this super-simple, quick, and tasty Middle Eastern flat bread that can be stuffed with all sorts of delicious fillings? And then gradually make your way up to baking a full sandwich loaf?

My wife Lynne (or Lady Lynne as she’s referred to on Neil’s Healthy Meals 😉 ) absolutely loves to eat these pita breads with hummus. My preferred filling is simply to fill my pita with a healthy rocket salad.

Whatever your preference of filling you can be sure that by making your own pita breads you’re not eating any unnecessary processed ingredients, which is likely what you’ll find in your shop bought ones! Enjoy!

pita bread
4.34 from 6 votes

Homemade Whole Grain Pita Bread

By: Neil Lockier
This simple homemade whole grain pita bread recipe shows you how easy it is to make your own delicious healthy pita breads.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 40 minutes
Servings: 8 pitas


  • 200 grams strong white bread flour, organic
  • 100 grams whole grain flour
  • 12 grams salt
  • 5 grams instant yeast
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 140 milliliters lukewarm water
  • extra flour for dusting


  • Place both of the flours into a hand mixing bowl or a stand mixer bowl, if you have one. 
  • Add the salt, yeast, and olive oil into the bowl. 
  • Gradually add the water to the bowl. Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon or use your paddle blade first if using a stand mixer, changing to your dough hook when the dough starts to come together in a ball. 
  • Lightly flour a work surface. Then tip the sticky dough ball out and knead it for about 5 minutes until the dough stops being sticky and is smooth and elastic. Add a little more flour if needed. 
  • Shape the dough into a round and place it into a clean bowl. Cover the bowl and leave it until the dough has doubled in size. This can take anything from 1 to 2 hours depending on the temperature of your room.  
  • Preheat your oven to 220C (425F) and place a large baking tray onto the middle shelf. 
  • Dust your work surface with flour again. Then tip the dough ball out onto it and knock the dough back until all the air is knocked out and the dough is smooth. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and form these into balls with your hands then roll each one out using a rolling pin to form oval shapes about 5mm-1cm thick. 
  • Take the baking tray out of the oven. Shake any excess flour off the pitas and place them on the tray. Bake in the oven for about 8 - 10 minutes until the pitas puff up slightly and turn a light golden brown. 
  • Remove tray from the oven and please the pitas onto a wire rack to cool for a couple of minutes then serve immediately. 


Calories: 151kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 4g, Fat: 2g, Sodium: 583mg, Potassium: 77mg, Fiber: 2g, Calcium: 7mg, Iron: 0.5mg
Like this recipe? Rate and comment below!

About the Author

Neil Lockier is a healthy recipe creator from Scotland who helps people live a diet-free lifestyle with his 80/20 plan.  The plan is simple: Follow a healthy living lifestyle, eat healthfully, and take regular exercise for 80% of the time and you can then indulge for the other 20%.  Learn more about 80/20 living and check out Neil’s recipes on his website: Neil’s Healthy Meals. You can also find him on Facebook and Pinterest.

A photo of Andrew Wilder leaning into the frame and smiling, hovering over mixing bowls in the kitchen.

Welcome to Eating Rules!

Hi! My name is Andrew Wilder, and I think healthy eating doesn’t have to suck. With just three simple eating rules, we'll kickstart your journey into the delicious and vibrant world of unprocessed food.

You May Also Like:

Notify of
Recipe Rating


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
October 30, 2017 12:21 am

5 stars
Love homemade pita it really tastes so much better than storebought. Thanks for the delicious recipe Neil

October 25, 2017 4:53 pm

This sounds doable for a novice with no stand mixer. I’ll just have to convert the measurements to american measurements:) The metric system is still a mystery to me!:)

Robin Lewis Kane
October 25, 2017 7:59 am

I make this using all 100% whole wheat. Why use white flour?