Healthy Pancakes that actually taste good

Healthy Pancakes

I love pancakes, but I usually avoid them because they’re a total carb overload, leaving me feeling bloated and lethargic for the next several hours (I know I’m not alone in this, thankyouverymuch).  However, I recently came across a terrific recipe for “protein pancakes,” by way of a friend’s girlfriend’s friend’s blog.

Dani Spies is a culinary nutritionist who offers up tons of wonderful recipes on her site.  She’s posted two of her own versions, a blueberry protein pancake and an original.  Her pancake recipes, in turn, are based on Bill Phillips’ Golden Pancakes.

Phillips uses artificial sweetener in the pancakes (but recommends maple syrup on top, oddly).  I prefer to use honey — the small amount of sugar is okay in my book, since it’s less than a teaspoon (3 grams) of added sugar per serving.

I’ve also put my own spin on them, swapping Greek yogurt for the original cottage cheese, since, as you know, I’m a fan.

Healthy Pancakes that Actually Taste Good
Recipe Type: Breakfast
Prep Time:
Cook Time:
Total Time:
Serves/Yield: 3
  • 1 cup of dry/uncooked rolled oats (plain, unsweetened)
  • 6 egg whites (about ¾ cup)
  • 1 cup of Fage 0% Greek Yogurt
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  1. Purée everything in a blender until smooth.
  2. Heat a non-stick skillet and add a thin layer of olive oil or grassfed/pastured butter.
  3. Pour batter into the pan and cook on medium heat, turning once -- just like regular pancakes.
I topped mine with strawberries and almond butter, though these pancakes are pretty dense to begin with, so you may want to trade the almond butter in for some low-sugar preserves or -- what the heck -- even a drizzle of maple syrup.

, ,

20 Responses to Healthy Pancakes that actually taste good

1. Lynn March 25, 2015 at 7:28 am #

Healthy pancakes that are actually good! Yes, they are dense. Normal pancakes I usually eat 3 but with these I ate 5. They don’t give you that bloated, full feeling. I used 3 whole eggs instead and added strawberries and mini chocolate chips (dairy free brand). They tasted delicious! I’m so glad I found this website. Thank you!

2. Joy October 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm #

These are amazing! Thank you.

3. Marianne November 8, 2012 at 11:16 pm #

My partner can’t have dairy. Can I use soy milk? If so, how much approximately?

• Andrew June 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

I don’t see why soy milk (or a nut milk) wouldn’t work. Just substitute the same amount.

4. Cheryl October 2, 2012 at 9:59 am #

I just made these pancakes for breakfast and we loved them!!! I usually drench pancakes in syrup because they are so dry. These are moist and wonderful. A small drizzle of syrup was all I needed. Thanks for the great recipe!

5. Ashley Bustamante September 3, 2012 at 9:10 am #

I made these this morning and the batter was really thin… I think the blender beat it up wayyyyy tooo fast. :( Oh well, maybe I will add more rolled oats next time.

• Andrew September 4, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

The batter is usually fairly thin — it shouldn’t be as thick as regular pancake batter. Did you still try making them? How did they turn out? (and yes, adding more oats next time might help?)

6. argyris June 23, 2012 at 10:17 am #

congratulations…this recipe is great..perfect!!!

7. Jess February 25, 2012 at 9:17 am #

I’ve made these twice now. Today I substituted 1/2 a banana for the honey. Delicious, plenty sweet, and a few added nutrients! I eat them with peanut butter. Yummy!

8. Kalina C. January 6, 2012 at 8:08 am #

I just made these pancakes this morning, they are delicious!! I used a honey greek yogurt and the sweetness was perfect without adding the extra honey. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

9. Maranda December 9, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

I have been making these all the time for a quick and easy lunch or dinner for the kids. They are delicious! Cottage cheese works well in place of greek yogurt; once you puree it, it’s nice and smooth.

10. christine September 25, 2011 at 3:08 pm #

What a unique concept–to me. Never would have thought of pureeing the oats. This is opening up a whole new train of thought for me. thanks!!

11. Nichole July 30, 2011 at 6:22 am #

I love the healthy breakfast flowchart. I’m a type 1 diabetic and have really been struggling with what to eat for breakfast and now these protein pancakes too! Thank you so much. Off to buy the ingredients and get some other goodies at the farmer’s market.

See my blog which has mostly been restaurant reviews but for the month of August I’m going to do a day by day photo capture of the food I eat living with diabetes in hopes of getting my blood sugars on track and inspiring others to do the same. Thoughts?

My twitter is eatwritelive.

12. Andrew August 24, 2010 at 9:12 am #

This morning we made these pancakes again. We didn’t have Greek yogurt on hand, so instead we used Stonyfield’s Fat-Free Plain Yogurt — which is quite a bit thinner.

I used about 3/4 cup of the yogurt (instead of a full cup). The batter was a little runnier than usual, so I made the pancakes a little smaller. They still turned out great — like little “silver dollar” pancakes. Since they were thinner, they also didn’t feel quite as dense.

Give it a try! :)

13. Cindy May 31, 2010 at 6:19 am #

I’ve been making these for a long time but with cottage cheese. I’ll try the greek yogurt option. Also, I’ve never included a sweetener in the recipe. I also make them in a waffle iron. I agree…regular pancakes are terrible – like eating cooked paste!

• Andrew June 1, 2010 at 5:24 am #

Hi Cindy –

I love the waffle idea! I’ll definitely have to give that a try. I’m also very curious to hear how the yogurt compares to the cottage cheese. :)

1. Delicious Pancakes | Fierce by 50 - November 3, 2013
  2. Celebrate National Pancake Day 2012 with Healthier Pancakes! — Savor The Thyme - Food, Family and Lifestyle - September 26, 2012
  3. Making Breakfast Fast and Easy: 3 Quick Breakfast Options | Momicon - May 12, 2012
  4. Start the Day Right with Easy Clean-Eating Breakfasts - December 10, 2011