Carolyn Scott-Hamilton is the creator and host of The Healthy Voyager web series, site, and overall brand. An award-winning healthy, special diet and green living and travel expert, holistic nutritionist, plant based vegan chef, best-selling cookbook author, media spokesperson, sought after speaker, consultant and television personality, she is a respected figure in the world of healthy lifestyle and travel as well as special diet cooking and nutrition. The Healthy Voyager aims to help people live well, one veggie at a time! Follow Carolyn on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Ah, the holidays. Fighting traffic, crowds, family and the battle of the bulge. The most wonderful time of the year tends to be pretty stressful, both mentally as well as physically. And we all know that what we stuff in our mouths from Thanksgiving to New Year’s doesn’t help matters.
Well, just because we know we should eat healthier over the holidays, doesn’t mean we need to sacrifice taste, our waistlines, or our food “morals!” It is totally possible to enjoy all the flavors of the holidays without having to compromise.
Two of my most favorite things at Thanksgiving and all holiday season long are stuffing and gravy. And I’ve enjoyed them more as a healthier, special diet diner than I ever did before as I’ve perked up the traditional recipes by making them from scratch, and also vegan, so all sorts of holiday celebrators can savor them too!
So while you can’t control the crowds, the lines, the prices or your family this holiday season, you can control what you eat!
My gift to you are these yummy standards made unprocessed for all to devour guilt-free!
Sage Cornbread Stuffing with Mushroom Gravy
This vegan traditional thanksgiving classic will have you ready to enjoy this meal.
Sage Cornbread Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 4 cups homemade cornbread
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon savory
- 1 pinch rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- Chinese sesame oil for brushing
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon unbleached un-enriched flour
- 1 cup water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon savory
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Dash of pepper
For the Stuffing
- Fry onion and celery in oil until translucent but still crunchy.
- Remove from heat and add bread crumbs, pour broth and remaining ingredients over, and stir well while heating on low.
Place stuffing in an 8-inch square pan. Lightly brush the top with sesame oil and cover with foil, baking for 350 degrees F for 30 to 60 minutes, depending on desired crispiness.
For the Gravy
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes over low heat. Stir in flour; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add water or stock, soy sauce, and molasses. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with herbs and pepper.