Not every meal needs to be an epicurean delight

Not every meal needs to be an epicurean delight

This morning, while I was eating a bowl of oatmeal, I violated our “no screens at the table” rule and scanned through my Instagram feed.

It was picture after picture of stunning, mouth-watering, decadent dishes. (I follow a lot of food bloggers.)

My oatmeal started to look pretty bleak in comparison.

Then I remembered that food doesn’t always need to be the Best. Thing. Ever.

Sometimes food is just fuel.

And, even if it’s not pretty, a bowl of oatmeal with peaches, raisins, flax seeds, and hemp hearts is some darn good fuel.

Notify of
guest
Name

11 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Karen
Karen
July 25, 2013 5:46 am

Sometimes simpler can be better! One of my favorite Best. Oatmeals. Ever. is 1/2 cup oats, a handful of blueberries, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water. I tried to do a super duper fancy chili once that took me about two hours (not including simmering and clean up time) and it was only so-so, compared to my Grandma’s simple chili (which I will still argue is better than any other chili out there) and has about six ingredients that you put together in ten minutes and leave in the crock pot.
P.S. I am new here, stumbled upon your blog, and love it.

Debi
July 17, 2013 6:11 pm

Some of the best whole foods dishes I make don’t look very pretty or delightful. But it sure pleases the palate and fills the tummy!

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood
July 16, 2013 6:12 pm

That’s probably because most food bloggers only post pics of “the best” meals, or ones they have plated/arranged/lit properly- not the functional unglamorous day to day eats. Sounds like a great oatmeal combo- i’ll put hemp hearts on anything lately!

sippitysup
July 11, 2013 6:37 pm

The trouble with your theory is good oatmeal is The. Best. Thing. Ever. GREG

Tanya
July 11, 2013 6:05 pm

I so agree! I am one of those my meals have to be pretty tasty and outstanding but one day I realized “I am tired and I just want something simple and good to eat.” Like today I made my own hamburger. Nothing epic just a hamburger and it was good too! Simple and good!

Dana
Dana
July 11, 2013 5:57 pm

I think you may have a blindness to the beauty of your oatmeal that comes with familiarity… that is some very pretty oatmeal!

Dana @dbuenovida
July 11, 2013 1:24 pm

Couldn’t agree more!! My sentiments exactly =))

Lindsey
Lindsey
July 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Amen!

Althea MC
Althea MC
July 11, 2013 11:49 am

I agree. I enjoy my am oatmeal and want it to be filling. Dinner — a pretty plate defintely adds to the eating experience. Funny how that works??!?

D