All About Gums (Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pecan Muffins)

Dr. Jean Layton is a naturopathic physician who lives and writes about thriving gluten-free at both Gluten-Free Doctor and Gluten-Free Doctor Recipes. She is the author of the upcoming book Gluten-Free Baking For Dummies (due out in December, available for pre-order now!), and last year she shared her comparison chart of gluten-free flours with us. You can also find her on Twitter and Facebook.

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pecan Muffins

Gluten is a protein in wheat, rye and barley that creates an autoimmune reaction that mimics sandpaper in the gut of celiacs and gluten-intolerant folks. I know, not such a pretty picture but that is how it is.  Over time the damage diminishes the ability to absorb nutrients from our foods and that is when these folks tend to end up in my office for treatment.

When Andrew asked me to guest post again for October Unprocessed, I wondered about a topic.  After all, I write about gluten-free living, some of the most unprocessed cooking of all.  It is naturally unprocessed in so many ways with simple foods, direct from the fields and trees of my neighborhood. Fruits, vegetables, plain meats are all naturally gluten-free.  For my family, eating only gets problematic when the ingredient count rises.

Then the lightbulb went on.

No, not Wrigley’s and Trident.

Guar, Xanthan, and methylcellulose.  One of these is included in almost every gluten-free processed food, but why?  Can we eliminate them?  Should we?

Follow along on this little tutorial.

The easiest answer is that something has to hold those recalcitrant flyaway grains of starch and flour together to mimic the protein structure of gluten. After all, even gluten-free folks want to have tender bread and flaky pie crust. We need something to stand in for the protein and hold it all together.

The wonderful folks in the processed food worlds chose guar gum, xanthan gum and methylcellulose as the best candidates.

What is guar gum?  This one is simple: Guar gum comes from guar beans. They are dried, hulled and ground to a fine powder.

What is xanthan gum?  Far more complex, xanthan gum is a compound made from mixing fermented sugars with bacteria, then precipitated with isopropyl alcohol. No home cook could produce their own, so I would put this in the “processed” category.

Methylcellulose? is synthetically produced by heating cellulose with a caustic solution (e.g. a solution of sodium hydroxide) and treating it with methyl chloride.

Taking wood pulp and treating it with lye and a poisonous gas to create a food additive? Only in the world of Frankenfoods does this make sense — not in my kitchen, thank you.  Watch your packaging for this one, it is ubiquitous in shampoos, toothpastes, and foods like ice cream simply because it works and is fairly inexpensive.

Vegan supplement capsules can also be made from this.

Why would we want to use them in food production?

Gluten is a protein that forms an elastic web that holds air bubbles in place, allowing for rise. There needs to be something similar in gluten-free baking to create bonds between flour and starch molecules.

These products are all powders that are fairly easy to handle in commercial applications, and very predictable in their actions.

All will allow for an increase in dough yield, and improve shelf life. Manufacturers are just reacting to the demand for shelf-stable products.

Are there any side effects to using them?

Yup, check out the table for each one’s special situation.  If you have a tender stomach, feel free to just glide on by and know that all of them speed the movement of food through the digestive tract. That increase in speed prevents adequate absorption of nutrients.

GasFrequently occursFrequently occursFrequently occurs
NauseaPossible even in small dosesPossible even in small dosesPossible even in small doses
Blood SugarCan reduce blood sugar levelsNo known effectNo known effect
CholesterolCan reduce if used in large doses 15 grams per dayNo known effectNo known effect
DiarrheaFrequently occurs with doses above 10 grams per dayFrequently occurs with doses above 10 grams per dayCitrucel is methylcellulose
HormonalCan diminish absorption of estrogensNo known effectNo known effect
Medication interactionsCan effect absorption of diabetes drugs, penicillin and Digoxin in doses higher than 10 grams per dayUsed in creation of time released medications.Creates the slip-and-slide needed in KY Jelly and artificial tears.
Food AllergyDepending on how it is grown, highly allergic people can react to the growth medium of xanthan.

Any other things we can use that might be whole foods?

Using the right combination of flours allows for elimination of gums in gluten-free baking. I’ve found that the higher the fiber content of the flour, the less need for gums.  Go here to see which flours have the best fiber content.

When I need to get a recipe to have a longer rise time, hold the air bubbles more effectively, or need a bit of flakiness, I reach for raw buckwheat flour.

Buckwheat Groats

This amazing, triangular, gluten-free grain is my go-to solution for creating the structure in my breads. I am very grateful that Buckwheat is one of the few commercially grown grain crops that doesn’t use pesticides and herbicides.

But it has to be RAW — green groats. Grind them just before you need to bake, for the freshest possible flour. I have a coffee grinder I keep for this purpose.  Believe me the investment is worth it.

It doesn’t take much to create the viscosity needed.  Replacing just 20-30 grams (2-3 tablespoons) of raw buckwheat flour in a batch of muffins will allow them to spring up tall and tender in the oven.

If you attempt to substitute roasted buckwheat flour, there will be no structure to your baked good.  Imagine focaccia instead of bread, pancakes instead of cake.  Use the raw groats and grind your own.

Raw Buckwheat Flour

Should We?

There is one caution about using Buckwheat in place of highly processed gums.

About 1% of the world has an IgE reaction to Buckwheat, meaning they are allergic. So before you transition all of your recipes to this, just try one out and watch for any changes.

Here is one of my favorite recipes that shows off this property of raw buckwheat flour. Enjoy!

Making Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pecan Muffins

4.0 from 1 reviews
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pecan Muffins
Egg-free, can be made vegan. Makes 8 muffins.
Dry Mixture
  • ½ cup raw Buckwheat Flour, freshly ground
  • ½ cup Sorghum Flour
  • ¼ cup Potato Starch (not potato flour)
  • 1 tsp. Baking Powder
  • ¼ tsp.Baking Soda
Other Ingredients
  • 1 cup Pumpkin Puree (fresh or canned)
  • ⅓ cup Honey
  • 3 Tbs. melted Butter or Oil
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 1 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • ½ cup Pecans, chopped
  • ½ cup Milk (cow, soy, rice, or hemp)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Stir dry ingredients together until one color.
  3. Add other ingredients, and mix together.
  4. Place batter into well-greased muffin tin.
  5. Bake 25-28 minutes, or until well-browned
  6. Allow to cool before eating.
The ⅓ cup amount of honey makes a lovely, lightly sweetened breakfast muffin. You can increase it to ½ cup if you like more highly sweetened ones.

, , , , ,

33 Responses to All About Gums (Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pecan Muffins)

1. Elan January 17, 2013 at 3:49 am #

On one hand I am thrilled with the buckwheat idea. I just started making my own gluten free flour mix for baking, which called for 4 TBSP xanthum gum to about 18 cups of other GF flours. HOWEVER, what about those with oxalate issues? Shouldn’t it be noted that buckwheat is rated as VERY HIGH in oxalates for those needing to watch this in their diet?

Thanks again for the good information!

• naomi devlin June 12, 2013 at 1:01 am #

You can also use ground flax / linseed as an alternative as it is low in oxalates & phytates. However, heating greatly reduces oxalates, so it’s generally more of a problem if you’re eating something raw, such as raw spinach, plums, rhubarb etc. Carob gum is another option, but I think it has similar properties to guar gum.

2. Janet October 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm #

Wow, thanks again for this info! Just made my gluten-free vanilla cake using ground buckwheat groats instead of xanthan gum and I love it. Really nice texture, even better than with xantham gum.

• Jean Layton October 28, 2012 at 5:52 pm #

Glad to hear that your cake came out well Janet, so happy.

3. CelloMom October 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Thank you for explaining the sticky issues with the gums. I’ve always felt most GF recipes require a witches’ brew of stuff. Will go hunting for raw buckwheat now.

• Jean Layton October 28, 2012 at 5:54 pm #

I agree that it feels like a witches brew of chemicals. And Xanthan gum can’t be organic, so I really want to avoid it since it is frequently grown on corn

4. Janet May 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

Glad to see more options for gum-free, gluten-free recipes. Ground chia seed is a good option too.

5. Judy Mucci March 27, 2012 at 1:49 am #

Very informative! Thanks.

6. Heidi W November 7, 2011 at 5:44 am #

I just found your blog and love it. Thanks for this Great article on gums. I’m new to gluten free eating and was just considering xanthan gum as an ingredient to buy for a gluten free pumpkin muffin recipe. But now I’ll stick to my skepticism and pass. Thanks for the great info.

Also, I read your comment on chia seeds. My friend is just beginning to market a gluten free breakfast bar (or energy bar or meal replacement) that is made with chia seeds.

• Andrew November 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm #

Hi Heidi,

Thanks for your comment. Skepticism is, sadly, the best way to go with most foods that come with labels these days.

Thanks for mentioning Juti Bars. I actually spent awhile on the phone today with Matt, chatting about them. He’s sending me some samples – can’t wait to try ’em! :)

7. Sherry October 18, 2011 at 6:19 pm #

I appreciate the information…do guar and xanthan gums work the same in GF foods?

• Jean Layton October 22, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Hi Sherry,
      The two gums have slightly different properties in gluten-free baking. I find guar works better to hold the larger grind flours together and xanthan for the starchier flours.

8. Jean Layton October 16, 2011 at 8:00 am #

I appreciate all the shares, thank you so much

9. sally cameron October 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Fantastic post Jean. I’ve forwarded it to g-free friends already. Such good information. I’ve been wondering about gums.

10. Anti Gum October 15, 2011 at 1:37 pm #

I just found this article today, and it is so informative. I had just taken more symethicone today (300 miligrams)for the oncoming attack of gas. Guar gum guar gum guar gum, it is in every grocery item. I try to avoid buying food items with it, but the list of guar gumless food is so short. Guar gum makes me have horrible aggressive gas that goes on for hours, if I don’t drink down symethicones, which are one of those pharmeceuticals which harm your innards, if you take too much. I think al the over-the-counter and prescription pharmaceuticals are like that. And worseley, it makes me sleepy, and I am naturally a low energy person to begin with. What a nightmare my life is.

11. Cassidy Stockton October 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

Great post, Jean!

12. Ginny Matheson October 13, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

Thanks for the information. I’m just starting to consider options away from processed food, and have lost 34 pounds at Weight Watchers. They don’t mention too much regarding unprocessed foods, especially since they sell these products, themselves.

13. Heather Jacobsen October 13, 2011 at 7:46 am #

This is a great post! Thanks for this useful information. I didn’t know you could use raw buckwheat as a binder. Also, have you ever baked with chia seed? I’ve read that it is also a good binder, but I don’t have any experience with it, myself. I’m not really a fan of gums.

• Jean Layton October 22, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Hi Heather,
      I am experimenting with Chia seeds again. I tried them a long time ago when I got a sample of Salba seeds in Canada.
      They have a distinctive flavor to me, kind of deep and a bit musty. So far I haven’t found a good use but you never know.

14. Christine K October 12, 2011 at 10:59 am #

Excellent review, thanks!

15. Amber K Lee October 12, 2011 at 7:53 am #

This article is so timely. Last night I went to a local market and saw that Bob’s Red Mill was selling packaged guar gum and xanthan gum. I was very confused. I wanted to know if it was something good for me to purchase or eat if I saw it on a package of food. This article seems to clear that up. So, thank you again for this post.

• Jean Layton October 12, 2011 at 11:44 am #

Hi Amber,
      Funny isn’t it, those gums are in almost every gluten free food. They don’t have to be, but lots of people feel that without the gum, their baked goods will have no structure.
      I hope you get to try the muffins.
      Dr. Jean

• Holcombe February 10, 2012 at 6:26 pm #

In my raceersh, I did find that unflavored gelatin was a great alternative, although not necessarily for those on a vegan or vegetarian diet.

1. Processed Food Demystified: There's Gum in Your Ice Cream - Organic Authority - September 2, 2015
  2. Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk | Waking Bird - December 15, 2014
  3. Toothpaste and Speedy Enchiladas | Tales of Alohi - May 17, 2013
  4. October UnprocessedGluten-Free Doctor - October 2, 2012
  5. Do we really want to use this? —GlutenFreeDoctorRecipes Gluten-Free Doctor - February 17, 2012